CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 3, 2009

Tyler's Journey...Second Surgery "The Glenn"

Tyler Just had his second surgery for his Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This surgery is called "The Glenn". It was really tough to see him go through open heart surgery. When they tried to get him off the breathing tube he failed to breath on the first attempt, they had to put him back on the respirator. They tried a second time and it went pretty well until he decided not to breath again. They were able to get him going. Thank goodness because he fought that breathing tube when he awoke from the anesthesia. This is the first day of surgery. If you look close you can see how red he is from his chest up. This is due to the new routing of the arteries. The main artery going down the side of the neck has to flow by gravity. This takes awhile to learn how to flow this "new" way. He also has bad headaches because of the swelling and pressure in his head.
This is his nice scar that he will have.
This look just tells the whole story on how he was feeling
This is the 4Th day. His color has already improved. He was still in a lot of pain. It just broke my heart. The doctor said he had some decreased heart function. They hope it will improve.
Time will tell.
On the 5Th day he was doing much better. He even smiled at the nurse. He was able to go home with mom and dad today. The next step is surgery #3 when he is about 2 years old. This is suppose to be the roughest one out of all 3 surgeries. I am not looking forward to that day.
If this surgery that he just had fails, then that will put him on the heart transplant list. I hope this surgery will do the job for him. I don't want him to have to go through any more!

8 comments:

Jamie Sue

Wow, Lisa! How rough for all of you. Your family is in my prayers.

Anonymous

Oh Lisa!
I am in tears just seeing what a tough time you all have had. I am praying for you, for little Tyler to heal and accept his surgery.
May God bless you and keep you in His care.

Brigette Little

I'm so glad he got to go home - always more comfortable than a hospital. He's been in our prayers. Hope all continues to go well. Love you guys!

marciad

He's a tough little guy. Praying for him.

Leslie Williams

Hi Lisa,

You all must be very tired. He is a little angel and fighter. With prayers, I feel God get's us through the tough times. If you need anything let me know.

Love you all,

Leslie

Michelle Tweedy

My thoughts and prayer continue to be with you and Tyler and the whole family. Just looking at the pictures is breaking my heart. I can't comprehend what all of you are going through. Best of luck to Tyler on a strong recovery.

wandykj

My what a tough little guy! My prayers are with you & your family. God is watching over this precious little gift:)

Hugs,
Wanda

Kathy W

Lisa, my prayers are with you and Tyler and his family. Oh, this must be so hard for you and his mom and dad. Hugs to you.